Nottingham Forest request referee audio released from Everton game for ‘integrity of our sport’

EditorLast Update :
Nottingham Forest request referee audio released from Everton game for ‘integrity of our sport’

Nottingham Forest say they have submitted a formal request for the public release of the conversations between match officials during their 2-0 loss against Everton on Sunday.

Forest want the audio from three specific incidents released in order to ensure “the integrity of our sport is upheld”.

Forest say they are “advocat(ing) for the broader football community” with their request to the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), the organisation responsible for refereeing in England.

The City Ground club expressed their concerns about the officiating in the Everton game with a statement released on X shortly after full-time. “Three extremely poor decisions — three penalties not given — which we simply cannot accept,” Forest said.

“We warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn’t change him. Our patience has been tested multiple times,” they continued, referring to official Stuart Attwell, before adding they were “considering their options”.

“Nottingham Forest has today submitted a formal request to the PGMOL to release into the public domain the audio recordings between officials during yesterday’s match against Everton at Goodison Park,” a second Forest statement read on Monday.

“The club has requested this be shared for three key match incidents — Ashley Young’s challenge on Giovanni Reyna (24th minute), Ashley Young’s handball (44th minute) and Ashley Young’s challenge on Callum Hudson-Odoi (56th minute).

“We firmly advocate for the broader football community and supporters to have access to the audio and transcript for full transparency, ensuring the integrity of our sport is upheld.”



Nottingham Forest question VAR integrity, consider legal action

Forest believed they should have been awarded a penalty after 24 minutes when Everton defender Ashley Young appeared to clip Gio Reyna in the penalty box.

The second incident took place on the stroke of half time, after Callum Hudson-Odoi’s volley appeared to strike the outstretched arm of Young.

Hudson-Odoi and Young were both involved in the third incident, as the Everton defender appeared to bring down the Forest winger after 55 minutes.

The Football Association, meanwhile has confirmed it is investigating Forest’s post-match social media post, which remains live on X and has been viewed 41 million times.

Forest alleged they raised concerns with the PGMOL over VAR Attwell being a supporter of Luton Town, a side one point and one place below Nottingham Forest in the Premier League’s final relegation place.

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg, employed by Forest as a match and performance analyst, spoke to PGMOL chief Howard Webb on Friday but, according to PGMOL, he did not ask for Attwell’s appointment to be changed and said that he did not have a problem with Attwell’s involvement. The club’s only concern was how head coach Nuno Espirito Santo should respond if he was asked about the appointment during Friday’s press conference.

PGMOL previously released audio between match officials from Tottenham Hotspur’s game against Liverpool earlier this season, in which Luis Diaz’s goal was incorrectly disallowed for offside.

Webb also hosts a program called Match Officials Mic’d Up with former striker Michael Owen in which such audio is released and the pair run through contentious refereeing decisions. The next episode is scheduled to air on Tuesday, April 30 at 7pm BST.

(Gareth Copley/Getty Images)